Back in February, I released my preseason predictions on my old blog. Here is a review of my predictions, broken down for you in a scientific manner: dead on, sorta right, and what was I thinking. Predictions in italics.
- Gardenhire needs to figure out the rotation and pen immediately - That he did. Joe was the closer from Day 1. Since Mulholland came to take the 5 Spot from the Seth Greisinger's of the world, the Twins staff has been one of the best in baseball. Except for Kyle Lohse of course.
- The Royals will need to implode - I totally nailed this one.
- Make the outfield Stewart, Hunter, Jones and trade some of the extra guys, like they did with Mohr - The outfield is clicking well, as evidenced by the contributions of all three in last night's ALDS Game 1. The trade of the extra guy was the Dougie trade, and that seems to have worked out ok.
- Someone needs to emerge as the ace since Milton is gone and Mays is out for the year - Johan.
- Keep playing small ball - One of my favorite plays of the year was Augie Ojeda going first to third on a groundball to the third baseman. Beautiful.
- Release Jose Offerman - Towards the beginning of the year, Jose had some clutch hits and even played a little in the field. He's only played in 77 games, which is 3 more than Justin Morneau, so he's been used sparingly for being on the team the whole year-which means he was pretty much cut but they are still using a roster spot on him.
- Koskie's back needs to hold up - It did, and then it didn't. Luckily, Terry Tiffee (pre-Pudge incident) and Cuddyer were able to hold it down at third during his absense. I should have mentioned the rest of Koskie's body, since pretty much everything is broken on that man.
- Joe Mauer needs to have a helluva rookie year behind the plate. Henry Blanco ain't gonna cut it - Mauer was looking really good before the knee injury. Blanco's bat is no where near Joe's, but his defense is great. And both are an improvement over Matty LeCroy. Blanco has been a great addition to the team.