We got to Arizona about 10 local time, after driving about 23 hours. So the reasonable thing to do was catch the 1:05 Arizona-Seattle game. Being only a wee-bit sleepy, I forgot my camera. My notes, for your reading pleasure:
- Aaron Sele started for SEA. Perfect through 2. Looked pretty good, but AZ looked not so good
- Starter for AZ, Halsey, threw an abnormally large number of pitches in the dirt. The plate must be at 55 feet where ever he's from.
- Sexson's first at bat he received about 1/2 boos and 1/2 cheers.
- Pokey Reese, member of the first class of the Best Baseball Names club and one of my favorites since I can remember, had a bad day at the plate, but an excellent one in the field
- Ichiro hit a ball down the line in the bottom of the 3rd that would have been a triple in a real game, but he took it easy and stopped at 2nd. To make up for it, he promptly stole third on the next pitch
- Halsey tries to barehand a liner in the bottom of the 5th. Things are not looking up for this kid.
- Dan Wilson absolutely gunned Luis Terrero in the Top of the 6th when he tried to steal 2B.
- Here is Greg Aquino's day. 2/3 IP, 1H, 3ER, 3BB. He walked Boone to lead off the inning. Then he walked Randy Winn. Then he balked them to 2nd and 3rd, respectively. Then he walked the bases loaded. Pokey sac fly- Boone scores. D'antona, AZ 3B, doesn't complete a difficult bare-hand on a chopper - all are safe, bases loaded again. Aquino taken out for Tolar.
- A double steal by SEA in top of the 6th left a guy stranded between 3rd and Home. He's dead meat. D'Backs really mess up and the guy slides (quite poorly, I might add) back to 3rd.
- Cha Seung Baek brought in for SEA in the top of the 7th and he gets rocked. D'Backs got long at bats off of Baek, getting to see a lot of pitches.
- 3-6-3 DP messed up by SEA SS. #9 AZ, running from 1st, alertly takes 3rd on error.
- Baek ends up getting rocked some more, giving up a HR to Sergio Santos
- Ramon Santiago, non-roster invitee for SEA, makes good play in the hole at SS, only to have Spezio misplay it at first. Santiago impressed me, he should make a fine major leaguer some day.
- $6 lawn tickets - really nice grass
- OF grass was classic checkerboard pattern
- Cannot see scoreboard from about 1/2 of RF lawn
- Traffic congestion was a bitch getting out of the park. They need a back way out.
- "The grass was soft. I would have definitely liked to have made a pillow out of it"
- "Ichiro shoulda had a triple, that bum"
- "Parents should know how to keep their kids from standing in front of people"
- Related to the above comment "You can't catch a foul ball in centerfield kid"